Forest Carbon & Finance Coordinator - BirdLife International (Cambridge)
Type of job:
Closing date for applications:
Monday, 17 February, 2020
About the Job:
• Location: Cambridge, UK
• Full time: 35 hours per week
• Contract: 2 year fixed term with potential to extend dependent on outcomes and available funding
• Salary: circa £36,000 – £39,000 pro rata plus competitive 12% pension benefit
• Annual Leave: 25 days pro rata in year 1, increasing by 1 day pa to 28 days
BirdLife International is the world’s largest nature conservation partnership. Through our unique local-to-global approach, we deliver high impact and long-term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
Increasingly, the world is waking up to the crisis of deforestation. As the understanding of the drivers and implications of global forest loss become clear, the global community is increasing its commitment to reverse this trend. There are a growing number of political and corporate commitments being made, and a variety of funding mechanisms that seek to invest in transformative change at large scale.
BirdLife International Partners work in forests around the world, incorporating conservation of core areas with threat mitigation strategies at landscape, national and global scales. This work includes “traditional” conservation of, advocating for, managing and supporting forest protected areas as well as supporting community management of forest resources. It also includes engaging in the productive economy to improve practices, inputting to policy processes to incentivize forest conservation and mitigate climate change, and contributing to the science of forest conservation.
BirdLife International’s Forests Programme aims to link and advance these initiatives.
Additionally, BirdLife, along with Wildlife Conservation Society and the Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF), have partnered under a collaborative initiative called Trillion Trees. A major focus of this partnership is to design, develop and secure new, large-scale funding for actions that maintain and increase global tree cover. BirdLife, WCS and WWF are already working together towards this vision, seeking synergies across our forest conservation initiatives to scale up efforts while catalysing others to join us to achieve the Trillion Trees vision.
We are seeking a Forest Carbon & Finance Coordinator (FCFC) to support BirdLife Partners and Secretariat, as well as the wider Trillion Trees partnership, to capitalise on the growing awareness of the importance of forests and trees for climate and biodiversity, and leverage this to secure and restore forests around the world.
The FCFC will develop a BirdLife strategy for carbon and climate finance for forests, aggregate portfolios of priority landscapes in which forest carbon finance could play a role, and develop new mechanisms to enable funding flows linked to climate commitments and forest carbon values.
The ideal candidate will have
• In-depth knowledge of both design and application of climate and carbon-based forest finance mechanisms (eg. REDD+, NBS climate finance).
• Strong working knowledge of the technical processes, pathways, risks, and best practices for REDD+.
• Experience designing, developing and/or implementing forest conservation or restoration projects using carbon/climate finance and/or similar payments for ecosystem service mechanisms.
• Experience communicating about REDD+ and other forest carbon finance mechanisms to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Experience working with corporates and the private sector.
• Undergraduate degree in natural resource management, conservation, sustainable development, business management, economics, international relations or a relevant subject.
More info and how to apply